Friday, August 14, 2009

Computer Literacy?


My 10-year-old, fifth grade, son came to me the other day -- he had a micro SD disk that he said had cheat codes on it that he wanted to use for some Wii games. I connected up my card reader to the USB connection on the Windows machine and looked at the files. I looked -- and then I rewatched the Youtube tutorial on how the program was supposed to work -- then I said to him "OK, this is the data file -- where is the program?" He responded "what is a program?".

Admittedly, only people with a historical bent are truly interested in how I started programming with little toggle switches on the front of a DEC computer -- or the huge decks of punched cards that I used in college to meet the needs of my programming classes. But, I do think that children who are in a school with a computer lab and multiple computers in the classroom should not be asking "what is a program?" by the time they're in fifth grade. And it's a good school.

Computer literacy seems to be interpreted as the ability to use particular programs (even if they don't know what a program is). My son did a couple of PowerPoint presentations last year for class and he's used Microsoft Word for a few papers. He has no problem in using a browser (even if he doesn't know what a browser is) and searching for information with Google. BUT, I still maintain that it is hard to transfer skills from one program to another without knowing some computer basics.

Many of the readers of this blog will already know most of this -- but I'm going to use my next week of blogs to talk about computer basics that I, personally, think ought to be known to be computer literate.

Subjects will include:

What is a Computer?

What is memory, files, and storage?

What are data (besides being a character on Star Trek: The Next Generation)?

What is an operating system (all my children keep complaining when a Windows program won't work on the family Macintosh)?

What are programs and how do they work?

What are peripherals -- what is I/O?

And any other topic that comes up within this realm. I once wrote a book ( never published) on computers and how they work -- let's see if I can summarize in a set of reasonably sized blogs.

No comments:

To Waste or to Waist: That is the question

       As is true of many people growing up in the US, I was encouraged to always clean my plate (encouraged is putting it mildly -- I remem...